CONTENTS

Saturday, June 10, 2017

Two hours a day

... is the target my friend Leah has set herself to keep up her productivity and motivation and the goal of creating a new piece of work each week. (She does have an exhibition or two to work towards!)
At first I thought this wasn't for me but then I decided to take up the two hour challenge, I'm not stitching as much as I'd like and I've no deadlines to work towards at the moment so this might provide the motivation I need.
Leah has a full on, full time day job and me - I'm retired, have all day to do as please so it should be easy... Except that those of you who are retired know that this isn't the case, first of all you lose your routine and the hours that are available to you suddenly aren't so precious. You volunteer to do to stuff to make friends/remain active/fill up your days and then there are the demands of your  changing family, some of which are welcome - like watching your children's families grow, others, like dealing with aging parents, less so.
So what happened this week (It's a five day working week, by the way)?
  • Day 1 – 30 minutes, stitching on the train
  • Day 2 – Away from home
  • Day 3 – 40 minutes, unpicking on the train (Not te stitching from Day 1 thank goodness!)
  • Day 4 – 2 hours
  • Day 5 – 1.5 hours( After a sleepless night and too many mistakes, I threw in the towel.)
One thing that I've learned from this week is that unlike when I have a clear goal in site e.g. an exhibition deadline or commission I'm not planning/preparing for the next day so Week 2 has the added goal of finishing the two hours by preparing for the day, materials and goals clearly identified!

To quote Daddy Pig - "What could possibly go wrong?"



No comments: